BMX Commission of South Africa(Affiliated to Cycling SA)
Policy Document concerning the process and selection of individuals to represent South Africa in Internationally sanctioned events.
1. The Selectors Mission and Vision
1.1) To identify established and committed athletes
- Who have exhibited commitment and dedication
- Who have a skill and proficiency level that makes them likely candidates to succeed in an international sporting event
- Who make use of all training and professional assistance available
- Who have the will and ability to succeed
- Who have an unwavering passion to bring International competition medals back to South Africa
- Who meet the minimum age criteria of 9 years or older
1.2) The selectors must be fully committed to the empowerment of individuals without prejudice based on
- Individuals who are challenged, either mentally or physically
1.3) The selectors code
- We as selectors are proud to hold this auspicious position
- We undertake at all times to act with complete integrity
- We will at all times adhere to our mission and vision
- We undertake to attend all official selection race meetings
- We understand we have unlimited access to all riders
- We understand we can request all results, performance as well as behavioural and attitude information as needed
- We will be fully committed to the empowerment (without prejudice) of allpotential individuals
- We will never bring the sport into disrepute
1.4) Eligibility to become a selector
- Must be willing to abide and conform to the “selectors code of conduct”
- Must be available to attend all “selection” race meetings
- Must be available to serve the full term of office
- Must have a minimum of 5 (five) years in the sport and have been active in local and national events in an officiating capacity.
- Integrity and ethics must be impeccable
1.5) Election of selectors
- The elected BMX Commission through the appointed selection convener shall call for applications for selectors prior to the 1st Commission Meeting after the elective Congress.
- Each province with 20 or more BMX affiliated riders may submit as many nominations with one page CV’s for selector positions as they deem necessary.
- The BMX Commission shall, immediately after it’s Commission meeting appoint 3 selectors from each qualifying province.
- The BMX Commission as elected will elect one (1) additional selector to represent the BMX Commission. (He/she need not be an elected commissioner)
- The duly appointed selectors shall hold office until the next “Elective Congress”.
- Dual roles will be permitted – ie: the coach may be selected as a selector.
1.6) The National Selection Team 2010 – 2012
The performance criteria as laid down herewith must be met at least 75% of the time, i.e. in at least 75% of the events entered, the athlete must meet the minimum requirement. (Not applicable to internationally based riders, as they would have to comply with this criteria 100%)
2. The Rules
2.1) Duties of selectors
- Once elected the selectors will collectively be required to sign a copy of the policy document with specific reference to the mission, vision and selectors code.
- The selectors will follow the method of selection as laid out in the rules under “selection process”.
- It is stressed that it is the duty of each selector to apply all resources and ensure that due process and consideration is given to all qualifying participants.
- All selectors are to be made aware of any or all riders who have been identified as “potential” and being “fast-tracked” at provincial and club level.
2.2) The Rules – “Initial Selection Process”
- After the first leg of the South African BMX Championships, each selector shall independently submit a listing of riders with potential to the Vote Co-ordinator
- This will consist of riders who meet the stated requirements.
- Once listings have been received from all the selectors, the Vote Co-ordinator shall make a master ballot paper. The master paper shall record each nominated rider and the number votes received from the selectors.
- This list will be confidential to the riders but NOT to the selectors.
- The only purpose here of – is to inform the selected riders (with 3 or more votes) that they are being assessed by the selectors.
2.3) “Intermediate Selection Process”
- The selectors shall prior to each South African BMX Championship discuss as a group all the riders who have been nominated, and may at this time put forward new names.
- For a rider to be removed entirely consensus must be achieved.
- Each selector may also, based on his discretion and motivation, add to or remove names from his list. He will make his changes known to the selectors.
- The sole purpose here-of is for all the selectors to hear and understand the individual selector’s motivation for the inclusion or exclusion of a specific rider.
- Any new riders added or any rider that now meets the criteria (that have 3 or more votes) will be advised prior to the South African BMX Championships that they are being assessed.
2.4) Preliminary Squad Selection Process
- The Master Ballot paper shall be available prior to the final South African BMX Championship.
- No New riders may be added at this stage of the process.
- All riders who now have five (5) or more votes (out of a potential seven (7)) will be discussed and ratified as the preliminary squad members.
- Any rider with 3 or 4 votes will be individually discussed and each selector must justify why they have included or excluded the specific rider.
- These riders will be individually assessed during the final South African BM Championship and each selector will have a final opportunity of explaining why he has still included or excluded the rider concerned.
- A final check that all the selected riders have met the full selection criteria in terms of the selection code will be made.
- The preliminary squad will be announced at the National Prize giving after ratification & approval by Cycling South Africa. (Transformation & Development Commission and the President)
2.5) Final Squad Selection Process
- Final team inclusion will be determined by each rider’s adherence to the CODE OF CONDUCT, their performance at the time of the final team ratification, ratification by CSA and any further requirements that may be set from time to time by the legislative body that has final say in such matters.
- The final UCI worlds team selection shall only be finalised after the conclusion of the 1st three(3) legs of the National BMX Championship of the following season.
- Each selector will re-evaluate the performance of all the riders in the preliminary squad.
- Each selector shall, if required by the Selector Convener, within 14 days, reassess any specific rider – if and only if it is deemed necessary by the BMX Commission.
- A RIDER PREVIOUSLY SELECTED TO THE PRELIMINARY SQUAD MAY BE OMOTTED FROM THE SAID SQUAD DUE TO NON-PERFORMANCE AT THE FINAL SELECTION STAGE.
2.6) Rider Notification
- Preliminary Squad – These riders shall receive written notifications of their selection into the preliminary squad. This notification shall stress that at this point the athlete shall not automatically be eligible for inclusion in the final team nor be guaranteed the award of National Colours.
- Final Squad – These riders shall receive final written notification of their selection into the squad to represent South Africa.
2.7) Definitions and ancillary items
- Selection Race Meeting – These consist of the four (4) South African BMX Championships (all legs).
- CSA – Cycling South Africa
- The BMX Commission in its capacity shall have the authority to replace a selector if the need arises (Eg: Incapacity to complete duties)
- The BMX Commission in its capacity shall have the authority to question the inclusion or exclusion of any rider in a preliminary or final squad. A full written response from the Convener shall be provided if necessary.
2.8) Selection Criteria for UCI Worlds
- Age Classes for selection
- Veterans (30+)
- Senior (23 – 29)
- Elite and Junior Elite (17+)
- Under 23 (16 – 23)
- Junior (10 – 15)
- Riders will not be selected by class (IE: 20” and 24” are irrelevant – a rider can ride either or both if he/she is selected)
- A rider may only ride in the age class where he/she is selected – eg: a 19 year old will be selected in either class 2 or 3 above, they must licence and ride the applicable class. (Failure to follow this rule is automatic exclusion from the squad)
- The rider must be selected in the applicable age group for the year concerned. (i.e. A rider who is 15 in 2010 will be an under 23 in 2011)
- A rider who achieved a world number in the previous “UCI World Championships” gets automatic selection subject to meeting the age and standard selection criteria
- 10% of the Selected squad are to include members of the previously disadvantaged community.
- A maximum of 5 riders with NO minimum may be selected by each selector per age class.
- Selectors must take special note of age classes affecting Elite, Junior Elite Under and over 23. If a rider is selected in two areas, the Selectors Convener will move the rider to the age class where he has received the most votes. All affected selectors will be made aware of these changes.
- Final selections will be discussed if necessary to conform to the “standard selection criteria” and additions or exclusions may be done.